Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Maven Watch

On a regular basis, there will be be some object or thing that I simply MUST have.  It's never anything from a specific advertisement or called-out by name in a magazine or website - it's just sort of something that bubbles up from my subconscious.  It's also always something that's not quite yet available in stores.

I have had two things that on my maven mind for the last couple of months and in the last week I found them both!  They are both throw-backs to my college days in the early 1990s.  I know this style coming back around based on what I saw on runways last fall, but I didn't consciously recognize that period as inspiration for my latest shopping until I had both items in hand and put them on together.

I used to have a pair of above-the-ankle, combat-style, black, leather, Steve Madden boots.  These boots were my absolute favorites for the longest time because a) I found them brand new at Goodwill for $3, b) they were tough-looking but still feminine enough to wear with skirts and c) did NOT have a side zip (I'm a Luddite when it comes to laced boots - go old school or go home).  I finally wore these boots to death about two years ago and replaced them with a classic, knee-high, round-toed boot.  The new boots were fine and I wore them quite a bit, but there was just something missing.  I've been looking for something to replace my dearly departed Steve Maddens for the last 6 months and I finally found these lovely Dr. Marten Diva Darcie boots.

Shortly after I started looking for my boots, I started thinking about matte, red lipstick.  I loved that look from my youth and immediately started the search.  It took two months of perusing every local drugstore chain, but two nights ago I finally found a display for the new Revlon Matte Lipstick (I'm cheap about my makeup - I get sick of colors too quickly to drop a ton of money).  I bought the darkest shade available and it is absolutely perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment